Easy Gluten-Free Plantbased Pancakes

11:44 AM


So I'm finally getting around to posting this recipe, sorry to everyone that was waiting. My excuse is that I'm pregnant and believe that is reason enough. HAHA

A while ago, the hubs and myself decided to start eating more healthy. Please note that we are already considered "extreme health freaks" by most who know us, but with baby on the way there is no such thing as too healthy. We decided to just cut out the majority of our wheat consumption, you know the processed and refined stuff. After quite a few tantrums and some really harsh language coming from our kitchen I realized that gluten free baking is hard, even harder when you are  plant based eaters like we are. Gluten free AP flour sucks, and I did try just about every brand on the market except the Orgran Brand ( I'm still testing out this sucker as soon as I get the chance). My Pancakes, which are a breakfast staple in our house, was just not as light and fluffy as it should be. Instead I was left with dense pancakes that made me wonder if they were under baked. In short, I was about to give up.


Then it happened. We were in the local Dischem picking up some of our kitchen staples when I saw it. There was an enormous bag of rice flour on special. I decided to chuck it into the basket without even thinking twice, because hey, Why not? I got home and put it in the cupboard and that is to moment I completely forgot about it. Now my hubs has the idea this was due to me being a bit afraid of trying rice flour for the first time and although that could very likely have been the reason, I'm sticking to "pregnancy brain" as my excuse.

I finally got around to making us pancakes using my go to recipe, with the normal flour replaced with rice flour and I also needed to add some extra water because rice flour sucks up liquid like a sucker (see what I did there?).  They turned out perfect! If you are trying these out make sure to follow the method

Ingredients:
Dry
1 cup Rice Flour
1 tbsp Sweetener of choice ( I used some fructose)
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/8 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon ( this is completely optional, I add it because Jacques absolutely LOVES cinnamon.)
1 tsp Ground Flax seed Powder
Wet
1 cup Milk Alternative ( I find soy works best.  You can also use normal dairy milk if you want to. )
1 tbsp White Vinegar
2 tbsp oil of choice ( if using coconut oil, like me, make sure to melt it first)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (also completely optional)

Method:

1. Combine the milk and vinegar in a mug and set aside for at least 5 min.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl, making sure everything is mixed well.
3. Pour your milk and vinegar mixture into your bowl with the dry ingredient, add the remaining wet ingredients and mix until everything is mixed well.
4. Add a tbsp of water at a time and mix well until you get the desired consistency. AKA you can pour it easy enough but not so runny that you have crepe batter.  Depending on the brand of rice flour this can be between 2 and 4 tbsp.
5. Cook about 1/4 cup of batter at a time over medium high heat.  Flip when the bubbles start popping or until the batter has slightly set up a bit.  Cook on the other side until brown and voila! You have a pancake.


I really hope that you enjoy these as much as we do. Please let me know if you have any other cool recipes with rice flour that I can try out.

xx



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Twitter Feed

Instagram